Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:00:35 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Karl-Petter =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C5kesson?= <kalle@sics.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on a 20Gb disc on a laptop with old BIOS

Hi,

  I'm not sure wether I've had this problem, but to me it seems that the
right solution is:

  * let the IBM DM make that FAT partition, because that's what helps
    fdisk recognize the correct disk geometry (see the docs)

  * in the sysinstall delete that FAT partition and make one small slice
    (no more than 500Mb) which will hold the root filesystem (otherwise
    the bootloader won't be able to load the kernel) and make the rest a
    separate slice

  * in disklabel make the / fs in the first slice (ad0s1a) and the rest of
    the filesystems in the second slice (ad0s2). The swap can be in either
    of them two.

 My $0.02
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)
| Programming in BASIC causes brain damage.                           |
|   (Edsger Wybe Dijkstra)                                            |