Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:01:04 -0400 (GMT-0400)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@multivac.narcissus.net>
To:        Tim Cline <tcline@pcl.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: windows question

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Tim Cline wrote:

> Hi, I am wanting to switch to FreeBSD. The only thing holding me back is
> an uncertainty- can you get an emulator or something for FreeBSD to run
> Microsoft Windows applications? Also, can you run DOS apps, and DOS apps
> which use DPMI? If you CAN run Windows apps, can you run Windows apps
> which use NETWORKING, such as ICQ? Thanks!

The development branch of FreeBSD has BSD/OS's doscmd DOS emulator.
There's also WINE, which can do some Win3.1 emulation, in the ports
collection.

I recently got a copy of Caldera's WABI, which is also Win3.1 emulation,
and I'm going to try to run it under FreeBSD's Linux emulation, since it
is a Linux app.  Wish me luck.  It says it does not support Windows
networking.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."