Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 15:42:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD automount and things

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > That's another incompatibility with other systems.  Why be
> > incompatible when you can be flexible?
>
> I thought an optional keyword *was* the most flexible approach?
>
> No offense, but your solution looked a lot less clean that this
> proposed change..

None taken.  Sure, in a vacuum adding the "optional" keyword would
make things more useful.  Come to think of it, there's no reason why
it shouldn't be there too.  But I think we're addressing two different
problems:

1.  The system's concern about coming up cleanly.  "I need these file
    systems, they've got to be there".

2.  The user's concern about having the info he wants.  "I can get by
    without having GIFs galore mounted.  Let's mark it optional,
    because I just lent it to a friend".

Still, I've got more important things to worry about.  I just don't
like seeing the UNIX world diverge too much, and so I'm a bit more
conservative in my approach to this kind of solution.

Greg