Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:35:47 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> wrote:

> > Then you are very confused.  LED-backlit LCDs just exchange the light
> > source, from fluorescent lamps to a bunch of LEDs.  There are several
> > variations to this (pseudo-white LEDs vs. RGB ones, LEDs positioned
> > behind the panel or around the rim of the screen), but none of them
> > have anything remotely like individual lights for each pixel.
>
> Sure they do.  It's called local dimming.

That's a TV feature where the LEDs are positioned behind the panel
and grouped into a number of tiles whose lighting can be controlled
independently.  I can't find hard figures on the number of tiles,
but we're talking dozens, maybe a few hundred--compared to millions
of pixels.

I'm not aware of a computer monitor using local dimming, but I
haven't been paying particular attention to that area.