Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:34:47 -0000
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tidy options

--3XA6nns4nE4KvaS/

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:00:37AM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> In the DocBook documentation with HTML output when using a package
> reference preceded by a character (with no space in between) there are
> often inserted spaces which looks odd.  E.g from
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/video-playback.=
html
>=20
> 	... codec with MPEG3 audio encoding (  audio/lame is required):
>=20
> The HTML that gives this problem is:
>=20
>             the MPEG4 codec with MPEG3 audio encoding (<a
>             href=3D"http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/audio/lame/p=
kg-descr">
>=20
> The problem is that Tidy is a bit too agressive when trying to make the
> HTML look nice, so it inserts newline where it really shouldn't, since
> it tries to keep the lines at max 68 characters (the Tidy default
> default).
>=20
> To fix this I propose to remove the -i flag (which indents the HTML)
> from the default Tidy arguments and add '-wrap 90'.  This makes the HTML
> more "ugly", but I don't really think this matters, since it's still
> correct and of course the browsers doesn't care.  If anybody for some
> reason still like to generate more readable HTML, they can just use the
> TIDYFLAG make variable to override the defaults.

Doesn't this simply decrease the chance of this happening, as opposed to
actually fixing the issue?  Surely the above situation can still occur on
a 90 column boundary.

> I should also mention that these options make book.html (the complete
> handbook in one HTML file) go from 3 986 799 to 3 002 354 bytes.

Now that's a reason to go for it, so far as I'm concerned.

> Any objection to changing this?

Not really, but it doesn't sound like a real fix, unless I'm misunderstandi=
ng
something.

Ceri
--=20
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.
                                           -- www.chatterboxchallenge.com

--3XA6nns4nE4KvaS/

--3XA6nns4nE4KvaS/--