Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:12:28 -0500
From:      David Vondrasek <david@davidv.net>
To:        "Nick LoPresti" <nick@chromatix.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail acting funny now?

At 01:14 PM 8/18/99 -0700, Nick LoPresti wrote:
>Excuse me if this or a similar question has already been answered.  A quick
>search of the archives turned up nothing.
>
>I am currently running FreeBSD 3.2.
>Some of my users to my sendmail(smtp) server from the internet to send mail
>from their clients.  Just recently it stopped working...  All messages
>sent(except those sent to the local machine) are rejected do to the
>following error:
>---   Relaying Denied ---
>
>I did not set up any relaying?  Did something change?  A specific rule I
>should look at?  Any help would be wonderful.  Thanks guys!

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti-spam.html

Relaying (transmission of messages from a site outside your domain to
another site outside your domain) is denied by default. Note that this
changed in sendmail 8.9; previous versions allowed relaying by default. If
you want to revert to the old behaviour, you will need to use
FEATURE(`promiscuous_relay'). You can allow certain domains to relay
through your server by adding their domain name or IP address to class 'R'
($=R) using RELAY_DOMAIN() and RELAY_DOMAIN_FILE() or via the access database.

David Vondrasek

http://www.davidv.net