Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 1995 15:09:53 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd on FreeBSD 2.0

I tried running pppd on my FreeBSD 2.0 system (under root). It always
says "Sorry - PPP is not available on this system". I don't understand
why the executable pppd is there if PPP isn't available... I thought
FreeBSD 2.0 was "PPP-ready". Where am I going wrong?

Also, in some PPP FAQ, it says to put one's "domain name" somewhere in
a file called "/etc/ppp/options". What if I don't have a domain name?
All my PPP server (at the University) says is my IP address (in
numerical form). Can I just omit the "domain" line in
/etc/ppp/options?

Last question: recently, all the 386bsd newsgroups were deemed obsolete
by the News server I use at the U. Where should I look for newsgroups
about FreeBSD?

Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@cs.mcgill.ca> [Montreal]