Date:        Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:39:34 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Foreign characters (Mainly Norsk) on a U.S. Keyboard...

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 02:07:15PM -0800, Peter Losher wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> > > I do a lot of communication with individuals overseas, esp. in Norway, and
> > > one thing that has bugged me to no end since switching my home box
> > > platform from Windows to FreeBSD was the inability to type "extended
> > > characters", like the "a ring", "o slash", "ae", etc.  In the case of the
> > > "a ring", I was able to replicate that in Windows using the old DOS
> > > ALT-codes.
> > >

> > ALT-codes work fine in the FreeBSD console too. (But not in X-windows.)
>
> Drat :) (since I am in X11, using xterm pretty much all the time)  However,
> in the U.S. ALT-keymaps in MS-DOS/Windows, the only Norsk character I could
> ever enter was the "a ring".
>
> > First remember that FreeBSD (or any other OS for that matter) doesn't know
> > or care what the markings on your keyboard are.
> > You can just change the mappings to whatever you wish.
> >
> > Do a 'man kbdcontrol' for more info.
> >
> > (Short version: Put the line
> > keymap="norwegian.iso"
> > in your /etc/rc.conf and your keyboard will act like a norwegian keyboard.)
>
> Yeah, I do get that, however, it would be more useful if I could just add
> the Norwegian characters to a copy of the us.iso.kbd (perhaps call it
> personal.kbd).  So to get a "a ring" I would do a 'ALT-!' and for a "o
> slash", a 'ALT-@', and so on.
>
> Is this possible?

Sure. Just go to /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/ , copy us.iso.kbd to
personal.kbd (or whatever you want to call it), modify that file and
use kbdcontrol or modify /etc/rc.conf to use it.

In X-windows you might also wish to take a look at 'xmodmap' which can
be used to modify your keyboard mappings in X.