Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:43:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on an AlphaPC 164LX - Alpha newbie needs help

Idar Tollefsen writes:

 > I'm currently trying to get X working on mine, and it has turned
 > out to be less than straight forward.

<...>

 > I tried the 4.x version too, but then it stopped in /usr/ports/x11/
 > XFree86-4/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/os-support/bsd/drm/kernel/list.c
 > with a lot of complaints  resembeling 64-bit "uncleanliness". In the

Have you tried updating to the latest version of the port?
I fixed some breakage shortly after the introduction of XF86 4.1, but
I don't remember exactly what the breakage was.

In any case, I'm going to be building it for myself sometime in the
next few days, I'll fix the port if it needs it.  Stay tuned.

 > There's supposed to be emulation available to run Linux binaries, but
 > I have a feeling that only applies to the i386 platform. Others will
 > probably be able to give you a more definitve answer.

FreeBSD/alpha runs Linux/alpha binaries.

 > I suppose the program you refer too is em86 for Linux/Alpha, which
 > would let you run Linux/i386 binaries. I haven't seen anything like
 > it for FreeBSD, but it shouldn't bee needed anyway if the previously
 > mentioned emulation works on Alpha. Besides, I could never get em86
 > to work on Linux/Alpha anyway.

One of the reasons why I never tried hard to get it working on
FreeBSD/alpha :-(

Drew