Date:      Tue, 4 May 2004 13:43:48 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@psineteurope.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SINGLE_USER

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:29:24AM -0400, Osmany Guirola Cruz wrote:
>  Why in single-user mode I have direct acces to the root account?

Because it is useful to be able to log in as root in single user mode.
It is generally only used for admin/repair purposes, and not for every
day work.

>  Why the system does not ask for a password to enter in single-user
> mode?

Because you haven't told the system to ask for a password.  In
/etc/ttys, change:

console none                            unknown off secure

to:

console none                            unknown off insecure

Next time you enter single user mode, you will be prompted for the root
password.

You can test it by running `shutdown now'.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
SA-DEV