Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:56:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, nate@mt.sri.com, F.Risso@cs.ucl.ac.uk, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Native thread on JDK 1.1.7

> [ Just in case anyone gets any wild ideas about a JDK port using this code. ]

> > |Not quite.  We support *LINUX* threads in emulation mode with a GPL
> > |add-on package, but we don't have native kernel threads in a form usable
> > |by native FreeBSD software.
> >
> > It is a GPL'd port but it sure as hell works just fine for native
> > FreeBSD software.  I have made *enormous* progress with ACE/TAO
> > using LinuxThreads.
>
> Great!  Unfortunately, you can't make any binary-only distributions
> using this code due to the GPL.  This makes a JDK/JRE impossible due to
> license conflicts with the JDK license and the GPL license.

Whoops, turns out I was confused.  The license is not the GPL, but the
LGPL, which means that binary distributions are now usable, as long as
you distribute the source to the threads package.

In other words, the license is *NOT* in conflict with Sun's JDK license,
although it not optimal either since the linuxthreads portions will
never be a mandatory part of FreeBSD.

Nate