Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:51:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        dennis@kentauros.rtd.algo.com.gr (dennis)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question: Unite or Die?

dennis writes:

> i posted a question recently, asking why to prefer FBSD over
> Linux. I was accused of starting a flame war then. My real intention
> was to see if there was *REALLY* something diffrent to look
> about. My conclusion is that in some fields FBSD is better
> (networking, stability) and in some other Linux has the lead(
> available drivers, memory managment).

I'd be interested to know why you think Linux memory management is
better than FreeBSD's.

> My question is why have two OS rather than one REALLY good one?

Nobody's answered this question, so I'll hop in with an opinion.  It
may not be yours.  And that's the reason: different people have
different opinions about what makes up not just a good operating
system, but just about every minor detail in the implementation of a
good operating system.  Now that it good bases for free operating
systems exist, every man and his dog are bringing out their own
versions.

>  Why dont programmers,hackers,develepors of both teams unite to write the
> ultimite OS?
>  Why the two teams mock at each other? Dont they see the danger in front of
> them?

Hmmm.  A lot of *BSD people look down at Linux, and their opinion
isn't always justified.  But, as somebody else said, I don't think
they mock each other that much.  Maybe more happens on the other side;
I'm sure that Linux has more religious following than FreeBSD does.

I think it would be nice if people would get together, though, and
appreciate that Linux and *BSD are pretty close in the overall
spectrum of operating systems.  But I don't think anybody really wants
to merge them: everybody has their own idea of what's right.

>  Windows NT has only one goal: to kill UNIX and every flavour of it!

That's incorrect.  Microsoft has only one goal: total world control.
Killing UNIX is just a rather unimportant step on the way.

BTW: if anybody wants to follow up, please do it to freebsd-chat.
-questions isn't really the correct forum.

Greg