Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:23:53 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Sweetleaf <sweetleaf@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open office

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:07:11AM -0800, Sweetleaf wrote:
> Does openoffice seem slow to respond to others? Clicking on a menu option
> such as "file" as to open a file takes about 30sec to give me the drop
> down menu. Also i have noticed there might be a problem with the way the
> port built or installed gtk, go to the business card creator and you
> should see just gibberesh instead of the wizzard layout. I am using the
> openoffice in the 5-current ports which is 1.1.0.
>
> System: amd athlon-xp 1800 w/256 ddr 2700 ram
>
> freebsd-5-current with 5-current ports.

Running same but with 1GB RAM (and dual Athlon 2200+, but I suspect that
doesn't matter) I see no such problems.

One hint is that with file/new/business-card clicked it takes 95MB RAM,
so you may be seeing paging delays.  Get more memory.  Openoffice is a
real hog - but I bless it for freeing me from my MS addiction.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.