Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:51:10 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tom Hummel <xiongfeng.tom@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld does nothing

Tom Hummel wrote this message on Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 17:17 +0200:
> > Where did bash come from?  It's not part of FreeBSD; I guess you
> > somehow replaced /bin/sh with bash.
>
> gosh, no.
> Bash should be located in /usr/local/bin/ and I invoke it at login for
> root in chase of an interactive session through ~/.cshrc. I didn't want
> to change root's login shell into something not part of fbsd-base.

If you have bash running out of .cshrc, then that is probably your problem,
as csh sources .cshrc each time it runs, so that means any scripts that
are csh scripts will not function because bash will start...

I added an echo to my .cshrc file:
hydrogen,ttype,/home/johng,509$tail -1 .cshrc
echo I am csh and I am lame
and created this csh script:
#!/bin/csh

echo foo

which results in:
hydrogen,ttype,/home/johng,510$/tmp/t.csh
I am csh and I am lame
foo

drop running bash and things will work...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579