Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 11:59:08 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lots of cvsup traffic last month?

On 14 May 2002 at 10:54, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:14:57AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > cvsup.nz.freebsd.org is hosted free of charge by a kind company.
> > International traffic costs them money.  They don't mind domestic
> > traffic.
> >  Last month there was 2.8GB of international traffic.  Did anyone else
> >  see
> > a large jump in traffic last month?  I can't think of anything which
> > would cause it as the only international traffic this box should be
> > getting is from the master cvsup server.
>
> Last month I asked for a repocopy of some files that amounted to
> about 150MB of extra data in the repository.  These files caused
> an uproar with some people so I had Joe K trim them down to less
> than 150KB.  However, you probably transferred all of these
> before this corrective measure was taken.  This amount of data
> probably accounted for a large portion of your additional
> international traffic.  I apologize to you and everyone else.

I don't think that that 150MB would account for 2.98GB of traffic.  That
would amount to only 150MB of international traffic as it was downloaded.
The cvsup server in question accepts only domestic clients (this
restriction is accomplished via a filter which occurs upstream).

But thanks for the apology.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples