Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 02:40:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      <mike@seidata.com>
To:        Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
Cc:        GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RADIUS Solutions

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Brian Cully wrote:

> daemon to query directly against our provisioning system if the
> user wasn't in the password file or if his password had been
> invalidated.

Hacked...  your radiusd?

'...provisioning system'?  Is this to say that you, perhaps, have
multiple systems, but they all end up being useless if the one,
centralized provisioning system is down?

I'm probably just misunderstanding...  I'm wanting to setup
round-robin radius servers myself (just running one now with a
'standby' that has to be administratively enabled *ack*).  I want to
ensure that when one box dies, the other gets hit without any
intervention on my part.  That means it will need it's own copy of the
password database...  something that NIS seems quite suited to
handle...   although I'm always open to other alternatives.

--
 Mike Hoskins
 Systems/Network Administrator

 "In a world where an admin is rendered useless when the ball in his
 mouse has been taken out, its good to know that I know UNIX."
                                                -- toaster.sun4c.net