Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:28:35 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        bruno@freebsd.org, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

On Saturday 28 July 2007 07:10:21 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > but I have better news and seems my first idea was right, the MB is it
> >
> > I found a tech info on the manufactor's support site telling cpu support
> > up to 4600+ and found a bios for newer cpus including my 5000+
> >
> > so I upgraded the bios and my CPU now works with smp + cpufreq + powerd
> > on both amd64 and i386
> > =A0
>
> Good to hear. Unfortunately my Mobo's BIOS is already up-to-date, the
> CPU is officially supported and Cool'n'Quiet works dandy in Windows XP

I had a chance to test several MBs with the same 6000+, 5000+ and 4600+ cpu

At the end seems that the problem is mb/hardware related since some=20
combinations hung even with latest BIOS installed and others not.

I tested newer MATX MBs and the only one which seems to run stable for long=
=20
time is the Gigabyte MCP61 chipset. All others are freezing sooner or later=
=20
with Athlon 5000 or faster CPUs.=20

The problem is less with the 4600 CPU almost all boards are fine and with 4=
200=20
CPU no problem at all.

The MBs with sis vga onboard are appearently unusable with the higher freq=
=20
CPUs. ATI and NVidia are ok.=20

Xorg appearently do not like HPET enabled because it freezes then with all=
=20
this boards I tested.

Anyway, funny is that Fedora 7 which I have on the same HD is not freezing =
=20
(same xorg+kde version) what makes me guess that eventual there is some=20
problem with freebsd's acpi understanding the acpi tables when using this=20
high freq amd processors.

Only to remember the problem only ocurres when loading powerd and seems the=
=20
freeze happens when cpu freq is upshifting not down.

Not sure if it is worth looking deeper into this on 6 and soon I have some=
=20
time I will check current first=20

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o