Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:29:20 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Alexander Chamandy <bsdfreak@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Userland "dig/host" for lookups against /etc/hosts?

--nextPart1252932.eWko8udWtj

Am Montag, 28. M=E4rz 2005 08:23 schrieb Alexander Chamandy:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:17:31 +0200, Emanuel Strobl
>
> <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > my testbed lacks of Ethernet Ports so one machine has no connection to =
my
> > DNS, no problem, there is something called /etc/hosts I thought.
> > It works if I ping 'hostname', but how can I find out the IP of
> > 'hostname' from the command line? dig and host want to contact the DNS
> > server, also nslookup does, so I think I need a utility which uses the
> > gethostbyname(3) function. Is there one? Unfortunately I can't write one
> > myself, at least not in a reasonable amount of time....
>
> May I ask what you're trying to do with the machine?  If you just want
> local DNS resolution for experimentation you may try running BIND 9 or
> TinyDNS.

No DNS experiments, I'm very well equiped (authoritative DNS). It's just th=
at=20
my local subnet (productive) has not enough ethernet ports so one=20
test-machine (in another subnet) cannot be connected to the local net and t=
he=20
two other subnets are for testing only, so none routes to my productive=20
net....
Everything is working fine, just curiosity..

=2DHarry