Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:51:40 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
To:        "John R. Martz" <jrmartz@ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux versus FreeBSD???

John R. Martz wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I probably should just RTFM instead of just glancing at it, but ...
>
> I'm still trying to put the pieces together in my head about what running a
> "free" Unix-like implementation on my PC might entail. Can someone comment
> on the differences between FreeBSD and Linux? One difference I'm really
> curious about is that I see lots of Linux books published, but haven't
> found one for FreeBSD yet.

You may have to know a little more about hardware and Unix to run
FreeBSD.  I would consider it a production/server type of platform,
compared to Linux.  I tried Linux first, and found too many bugs.  I had
some software running on Solaris that I tried to port to an ISP box that
was running a *stable* version of Linux.  It wouldn't work there, but
would work on another ISP that was running FreeBSD.  I've heard Linux
has gotten better, but then I've heard that for some time now.  I think
the device support and games support is much better on Linux.

So, if you are going to go with FreeBSD, then read the notes on the web
pages about supported hardware.  And then ask in questions, scsi, or
hardware about something you have that is not listed.  It may be
supported but not listed.  Decide whether you want stable or
experimental.  (see the web pages :)  I recommend FreeBSD, especially if
you are a professional in the computer field, and you need something
solid to do some real work on.  Not to say that you can't do some good
work with Linux too.

"Books!?  We don't need no steenkin books, we got source ... "

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088