Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:30:46 -0700
From:      "Pratt, Christopher B" <cpratt@par.ora.fda.gov>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Dual CPU effectiveness?

I am considering buying a dual PIII CPU to replace the single PII CPU  from
which I operate a high traffic website running FreeBSD, Apache, PERL and
mysql. I have been unable to locate a place where I can get a definitive
answer on whether FreeBSD can make decent use of dual cpu or even if a PIII
is compatible (though I know it is, the info available is not current
enough). If anyone can point me to explicit info on this I would appreciate
it.

I am also enclosing the current and upgraded configuration below in case
anyone would hazard a guess at the performance improvement that FreeBSD
might experience. I have tuned the existing system such that it has no swap
or process failures but during peak hours on the net it still runs like a
slug. Will this upgrade do any good with FreeBSD commensurate with the cost?
A related but not identical question is whether FreeBSD usage of multiple
cpus is sufficiently better than just using one fast cpu?

Existing Configuration
PII 300 Mhz CPU
66 Mhz BUS
IDE Controller (6.4 MB UDMA)
128 MB RAM

Planned Upgrade
Dual PIII 550 Mhz CPUs on ASUS P2B-DS ATX
100 Mhz BUS
SCSI Controller (9.1 IBM Drive)
256 MB RAM

Thanks in advance. Chris