Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:47:08 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max inode..??

Arisandy Arief wrote (2000/04/24):
> how can I look max innode in our FreeBSD-4.0 box

Use "sysctl -a" to view kernel settings.
Use "sysctl -w name=value" to set value.  See "man sysctl".

> in linux we ussualy use cat /pro/sys/kernel/fs/max-inode...
                                  ^- c
Yes, nice magic operation :-)

FreeBSD's get value: sysctl kern.maxvnodes
FreeBSD's set value: sysctl -w kern.maxvnodes=N

> and then how can I raise it...we need to use it for mail server with more
> than 100.000 account using vpopmail....in standart inode we just raise
> 110.000

Yes, in Linux increasing of max-inode is needed to make kernels > 2.2.x
operable in some cases. But in FreeBSD there are no such big needs to
increase it. But if you want, you can play with it and you will see if it
helps or not.

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science