Date:      Wed, 05 May 2010 23:52:48 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: 2 qstns re pc-bsd...

Gary Kline wrote:
> i ask here?  [i'm trying to add my beloved zsh [[heart-throbs]],
> and ff3, and others. i thought i had installed the ports stuff.
> nope.

When I looked at PCBSD some while ago it had 3 ways of doing ports. #1
is standard (make install) FreeBSD ports, #2 is also standard FreeBSD
ports but installed to a different location, #3 is PBI which is
statically compiled (or at least is completely self contained in some
way) and is a very quick binary install. zsh is available here
http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/96. The PBI system is a bit of a flagship
aspect of PCBSD so probably works pretty well.

Method 2, which is the default when you build your own, is designed to
keep 'your' ports separate from 'system' ports. Because PCBSD is a
desktop system some ports eg kde are ready installed and are upgraded as
part of a PCBSD system upgrade. 'Your' ports are installed in a separate
place to allow PCBSD upgrades to occur without interfering with yours.

That's written from memory of a year ago - please check for yourself in
case things have changed.

I think you mentioned in a previous post that you wanted PCBSD for some
server stuff. I'm just curious because PCBSD is clearly aimed at desktop
use, whereas one might think FreeBSD is a more appropriate choice for
the server stuff. Not that either couldn't do either job...

Chris