Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:04:52 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Michael Williams <gberz3@gmail.com>
Cc:        koitsu@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOW TO:  Enabling root on a new server?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 21:35:52 -0400
Michael Williams <gberz3@gmail.com> wrote:

> .  Anyway, if
> you can think of *any* solution to this issue, it'd be much
> appreciated.  For the record, the following are my Plesk Control
> Panel offerings for SSH login:

Hi Michael,
you hadn't mentioned you are using Plesk :)

> /bin/sh
> /bin/csh
> /bin/tcsh
> /bin/sh(chrooted)
> /usr/local/bin/bash

Make sure you choose /bin/sh (NOT CHROOTED).

also, if  you are SSHing to your server via an account created with Plesk, which can creates chroots environments for those accounts.

Try ssh as admin with your plesk password straight into the box.

If I may ask, do you need Plesk? For some users and situations, it may be a good tool ( shared webhosting with many accounts ), and even in those cases I've found it to be more problem that is worth it, as it adds so many layers of scripts and software that you are mostly stuck with whatever is compatible with Plesk, or hacks around that (either way, not ideal). YMMV, of course.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
  Frank Leahy