Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:33:51 -0500
From:      Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 on old SMP server?

Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> Why don't you just do the buildworld on another machine?

As I don't use the machine as a primary workstation at the moment, it
doesn't really matter to me if it takes 1 hour or 3 months, I start the
buildworld in a screen'd shell and check on it periodically.  When it
finishes, I set aside 10 to 20 minutes to do an installworld/kernel &
mergemaster via serial console, 'just in case.'  The closest it gets to
annoying is when I start a buildworld based on a new security fix, and 3
days in the fix is revised. : )

And Oliver, you were correct, omitting -pipe didn't allow a buildworld
to finish with 448MB ram + swap.  Guess I get to repartition after all.
  My new plan is going to be sourcing a Gigabyte I-RAM, putting 4GB on
it, and wiring up an external power supply for it.  That plus an SATA to
IDE adapter from NewEgg should let me run the I-RAM on my empty ATA
controller, giving me 4GB of swap running as fast as the machine can
take it.  Depending on how it behaves, I may track down a 2MB ISA VGA
card again and throw KDE4 on it just to be truly insane.  They say it's
much better about memory utilization now... :P

Joshua Coombs