Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:45:43 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two /boot/loader anomalies

> Now with the new boot loader cvsup'ed yesterday morning CEST I noticed
> that the "autoboot 5" I specified in /boot/boot.conf does get executed
> but has no count down.  I have to press ENTER to get it to boot.  My
> memory claims the one from Saturday worked when I experimented with
> it.

You'll get this if the timer isn't working properly.  I've seen a
couple of reports of this, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

You'll get similar behaviour if it can't work out which kernel it
should be loading.  In that case, it's a bug.

> Another thing I noticed is the size.  Why does it have about 188 KByte
> of initialized data making it a nearly 200 KByte large executable?  Is
> this something strange with my configuration causing this, a bug or
> intentional?

It doesn't, the data segment is a hair over 1k.

I let a -g slip into the libstand Makefile a while back; you may still
have scads of debugging symbols coming in from there, which will bulk
the loader image way out.  You don't need this (but it makes debugging
much easier of course 8).