Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:31:49 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hcremean@vt.edu, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Since the MicroSloth(tm) jokes have been flowing...

> Agree completely.  I'm doing a project for the University of Maryland,
> using Borland tools to do a very stripped down 32 bit OS for students.
> The most difficult part?  Avoiding all the Microsoft hooks in the code,
> which means decompiling the obj files and literally plucking out the
> Windows calls.

So use the Delorie tools.  No MS hooks, already a flat 32-bit model,
and gosh, you can crossdevelop for it under FreeBSD 8)

We did a project a while back where I started on a DOS system with the
Delorie tools, moved to OS/2 and emx (still targetting go32), then to
FreeBSD, still targetting DOS/go32.  At the same time, there were no MS
or Borland tools around that could have given us what we needed (a
flat 32-bit DOS extended with inbuilt VM).  Watcom _might_, but the
four-figure pricetag was totally out of the question.

(Oh, you get all the source, too 8)

mike