Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:00:14 +0200
From:      "Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3" <andras.tudos@computronic.hu>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large email installation references?

At 1999.04.20 19:46, Tuesday, Michael R. Wayne wrote:

>Are there any good reference pointers to suggestions and issues
>dealing with large (100,000+ accounts) email installations?
>
>/\/\ \/\/

Hi,

we are at 135,000 users with the following setup:

4 frontend PCs with FreeBSD 2.2.8, Qmail, Apache and custom CGIs
1 backend SGI NFS server with RAID arrays (just because of the journaling
filesystem)
1 FreeBSD based database server using Solid SQL and authenticating POP3,
WWW and Radius users

The system works fine, we use a hashed user directory structure, round
robin DNS and hacked code all around.
The most important seems to be to use as many disk drives as possible to
distribute the load. We have more than thousand concurrent users at peak
times now with two RAID arrays (12 drives), there was a limit at around 700
with 1 array.
(This is a free email service with web, pop3 and limited dial-up access.)

Andras Tudos
C3, Budapest