Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:22:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        root@abel.pdmi.ras.ru (Alexey Pialkin)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, j_mini@efn.org, emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New doscmd available for testing/munching

Alexey Pialkin stands accused of saying:
> > Actually, you mmap /dev/vga which roots at the base of video memory.  This
> > is much cleaner, not to mention safer.
>
> BTW, why ?

Because you're mapping the video card's memory, not "generic memory".
If the card is somewhere else, then you don't have to worry about it.
If Soren wakes up and changes it just a little bit, you will _only_ be
able to map the region of memory that the card decodes into.

> BTW, we don't need to compare somthing for ncurses - it makes all automatic
> & redraw quite nice... At least on my home my new unoptimized ncurses support
> works much faster than Xs :).. But that's not a surprise :)

Hmm?  I presume you are using ncurses' internal compare-and-redraw
algorithm then 8)

> Interesting. I have missed that. What can madvise do that can help us ?

I'm really not sure;  that's likely to depend on what JD has to say.