Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:09:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Larry Lee <lclee@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications

--->>> Moved to chat@freebsd.org <<<---

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Larry Lee wrote:

> FreeBSD clearly outperforms W95 and WNT on the same size hardware and runs
> on smaller hardware platforms.

If you want to do a general comparison (which I don't believe can be
done in a very meaningful way), you at *least* need to compare
similar configurations, which, in this case, means adding X and CDE
to FreeBSD.  In this configuration, FreeBSD may still be competetive
with NT, but it flat out looses to W95 in terms of hardware
consumption.

> The basic UNIX commands are no more difficult to learn than the basic
> DOS commands and any UNIX shell is no more difficult to use than command.com
> and clearly has far more power and capabilities.

Hold it here.  You have suddenly switched to comparing Unix with
MS-DOS.  Now MS-DOS runs quite nicely on an 8088 with 640K of ram,
but it is NT that people are comparing to Unix, not MS-DOS.  Most of
the Unix shells and tools could be (and probably have been) ported to
NT anyway so this argument is nearly moot.  The ease of use issue
is not command line versus command line, it is text interface
versus graphic interface.

> The UNIX install process is much more difficult than Windows and when
> it's complete you still don't have a fully functional UNIX system.

Yes you do, but but if you expect a fully functional Unix system to
be approximately the same thing as a fully functional NT system, you
are mistaken.  Whether this is good, bad, or just different depends
on what you use the system for.  If you want FreeBSD to be more like
an out-of-the-box NT system, you have to shell out the US$250 to get
CDE.

> UNIX costs less that Windows.

Yes, if you exclude the comparable GUI component from Unix.  XFree86
gets you a GUI, but only CDE offers anything remotely similar to the
GUI Windows offers.

> Compare the appearance and utility of Eudora to xmh, Eudora looks better.
> Anything based on xaw looks awful, and the 3d version isn't much better.

Compare xaw with other GUIs in existance around the time it was
designed and it doesn't look that bad.  Its just that nobody has
bothered to update it.  Think of xaw as a GUI time capsule. :)

People serious about GUI design use TK or Motif.

> The world has gone graphical, but Unix still clings to its text based
> origins.

Considering the application domains where Unix dominates, there are
many good reasons to maintain a text based interface.  However, that
should not preclude the development of excellent GUI support.  In
practice it does because text based tools are generally considered
essential, while their GUI counterparts are seen as a "nice
feature".  Guess which gets development priority?

-john