Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        BRiGHTMN <brightmn@server.local.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, BRiGHTMN wrote:

> > I'm stumped here, could I get some help?
> yes the man pages, a man on ps states:
>
>   state   The state is given by a sequence of letters, for example,
>              ``RWNA''. The first letter indicates the run state of the
> pro-cess:
>
>              D       Marks a process in disk (or other short term,
> uninter-ruptible) wait.
>
> your NFS servers aren't responding correctly try using NFS version 2
> instead of 3 it worked for me.

I think I now have it figured out.  Desperation does wonderful things for
the mind ... Michael Smith had told me previously about the abysmal
performance of the 3C503 card that machine has, about some buffer
incompatibility it has, and I think it's ibtten me now.  I found disk
space, tarred up what I wanted to transfer, and I sent it over that way,
which worked like a charm.  Means I can't get nfs mounting to work, but at
least I can get what I want up, going along.

> Alfred Perlstein
> perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu
>
> > I'm trying to do an NFS mount of a directory on a 3.0 machine onto another
> > machine that's running 2.2.1, for the purpose of transferring /usr/src.  I
> > can mount the 3.0 machine's /usr/src onto my (current) machine and
> > transfer files with no problem.  When I do the mount onto the 2.2.1
> > machine, the first ls works, then everything afterwards fails, and hangs.
> > I have tried, as a test, just to transfer the Makefile into another
> > directory, here's the ps from it:
> >
> >   207  p1  D      0:00.01 cp /usr/src/Makefile
> >
> > I don't understand the "D" status.  All the nfsd and nfsiod's are running,
> > as is portmap and mountd, on both machines.  Since I can successfully
> > mount and tranfer files from the source machine to my own, I think maybe
> > it's in the target machine (the 2.2.1 machine) that has the trouble, but I
> > can't guess what it is.  Can you?
> >
> > I've tried this several times, and done some reboot cycles that seemed to
> > work just fine.  I'm willing to do some experimentation ...

> > Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> > chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> > 213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
> > Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
> > (301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |