Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:02:57 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic

On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:57, vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com wrote:
> > From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
> > Date: 2005/12/08 Thu AM 01:34:42 PST
> > To: Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
> > CC: Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> > Subject: Re: Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic
> >
> > On Wed, 2005-Dec-07 13:34:53 -0800, Vizion wrote:
> > >Well having run many very large scale projects myself I  find it
> > > difficult to accept either implication of this perspective.
> >
> > There's a massive difference between running a large commercial project
> > and running a large open source project using volunteers.
>
> Not really I have done both and found that shared values and community
> collaboration work the same.
>
> >On a commercial
> > project, you can direct someone to do something and they have a choice of
> > either doing it or finding another job.
>
> Well that kind of development environment (rule by dictat) does not work
> very well. Developers are people who are engaged in a collaborative
> process. If you encourage them to think like prima donas then they will
> behave like prima donas rather than as part of an integrated team.
>
> >On a volunteer project, there's
> > a limit to how far you can push someone to do something they don't enjoy
> > before they just leave.
>
> Push has it limitations everywhere.. goals and communal rewards are better
> in both volunteer and commercial projects.
>
> > > The first implication is that
> > >we should be complacent about it and not seek to find a method to
> > > improve the process.
> >
> > I don't think anyone is suggesting this.  In my experience, the FreeBSD
> > project is always open to process improvements - this is especially
> > obvious in the documentation and release engineering areas.
>
>  The question is about the degree of committment to process change not
> whwther it is absent or present. The critique is there is tooo little
> comitment to process change and too much resistance to greater
> concentration on the quality of user docuimentation and the significance of
> that work in the developmenmt cycle.

> > >That is a judgment call - franky my experience has been that developers
> > > who are bad at ensuring their work is well documentated are second rate
> > > rather than top rate developers.
> >
> > Software developers are notoriously poor at writing documentation for
> > non-technical people.  There are probably very few developers who
> > enjoy writing end-user documentation (and can write).  In my
> > experience, especially on large projects, it's rare for developers to
> > write the end-user documentation.
>
> NOTE I said"
>  F:ranky my experience has been that developers who are bad at
> ENSURING
> their work is well documentated are second rate rather than top rate
> developers. The work of the technical writer needs to influence development
> at the design stage! It does not matter whether the developer does or does
> [...]

Vison, you are much better at writting florid prose on how and why FreeBSD is
such an awful OS run by a team of Techies who care nothing about end users
needs than you are at reading and comprehending simple instructions.

 What you write is almost believable, your writing skill is very good and
convincing, only in this particualr case I know you are completely wrong and
your failure to follow the simplest advice is why your machine is now non
operational.  Quit crying about non relevent issues and concentrate on
solving your real problem - getting that darn machine to boot up.

One last thought, name one OS that has better documentation than FreeBSD
please, comercial or otherwise.  Maybe there is such a beast, if so I am very
curious to know what it is called.

-Mike