Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:57:20 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        bwoods2@uswest.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 08:45:28PM -0800, William Woods wrote:
> I have been following the disscussions here for a while, just trying to get a
> feel of what the transition from 3.4-stable 4.0-release will be like. I am
> running -current on my alpha, but that was a fresh install. I am debating
> trying -current on my laptop, but before we go there, I would like to inquire
> as to what shape the transition is in. Are there steps posted somewhere that
> work?

See src/UPDATING.

I made the transition on my laptop from 3.3-RELEASE to 4.0-CURRENT about
six months ago, so my experience wouldn't help you much, unfortunately.

However, I would just like to say that I'm very happy with my
4.0-CURRENT running with a 3Com 3CCFE574BT PC-Card. :-)

> Also, what condition (I know, I am asking you to read the future) do you expect
> the transition to be like at the end of the month when 4.0 -release comes out.

Should be fairly easy, if you do it the cvsup/make world way.. there's a
lot of different thorns here and there so I'm not real sure what it
would be like once 4.0-RELEASE goes out.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>