Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:48:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        mmead@goof.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: writing bootcode; need a method

> >     Does anyone know how to write the FreeBSD bootcode despite the fact that
> > disklabel doesn't like the way sysinstall sets up the drives?  My setup is
> > this: I have an IDE drive (for a couple doom games and such), so I still want
> > FreeBSD to boot off sd0.  I need to put the bootmanager on the wd0 drive, and
> > then to run FreeBSD, point it to disk 2.  Then I've got to manually type in
> > hd(1,a)/kernel each time it boots.  I know how to modify the bootcode and
> > rebuild it, but disklabel won't write the bootcode, cause it doesn't like how
> > sysinstall set things up...  Any ideas?

 In anycase... why cannot the boot manager take care of this... it _was_
designed for it.... put the boot manager on your ide drive... and tell it
to boot from hd(0,a)kernel. I have this setup at home and use it
frequently for just this reason.

 -branson

E. Branson Matheson III				     e.b.matheson@larc.nasa.gov
Computer Sciences Corporation	  	   "If Pete and Re-Pete were sitting on
(804)864-9700  -- Work			    a fence, And Pete fell off....
(804)881-8308  -- Beeper		    Who'd be left?"