Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:12:42 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp to RTP

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Multicasting with ffmpeg works fine. The command line
> ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -acodec copy -f rtp rtp://239.8.8.8:5000 -re
>
> does send a multicast stream which can be listened to with VLC (but
> not mplayer for some reason) on multiple hosts.
>
> Now I need to figure out how to stream live sound from /dev/dsp. All
> my attemps to record sound from a USB audio interface, as simple as
>
> ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp1 out.wav
>
> have resulted so far in a severely distorted growl instead of normal
> voice. Do you know how to figure out the sampling rate and other
> parameters of the sound card? "cat /dev/sndstat"  does not output
> anything really useful.
>
> The audio interface is not to blame because I use it all the time with
> linphone for SIP calls.

I have tried with a different soundcard and the following command
line:

ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp -acodec mp2 -f rtp rtp://239.8.8.8:5000 -re

seems to work fine. However, the delay of voice is about 2-3 seconds.
If I use the libmp3lame codec instead of mp2, the voice quality degrades.

I don't know what the problem with the first audio interface is, so
that linphone works fine but ffmpeg records distorted sounds.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru