Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:08:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

On Saturday, 15 December 2001 at 21:27:04 -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> I was recently asked the question in a private Email: why are there no
>> Arabs in the FreeBSD project?  At least, I don't know of any.  Also,
>> I know of only one Indian in the project (Joseph Koshy).  We have
>> plenty of people from other countries.  Any ideas why this should be?
>
> You're wrong, but of course it could be offensive for me to give
> a partial list (either by listing people by their ethnicity, or
> by missing someone, since either could be taken the wrong way).

Hmm.  I've already received a private reply in this vein.  Certainly
my intention was not to discriminate; quite the contrary.  I would
find it sad if obvious differences can't be discussed.  I can't recall
anybody getting upset, for example, when people asked why there are no
female hackers.

> Suffice it to say that I'm more interested in identifying the
> Germans so that they can disassemble my Windows Winmodem drivers,
> etc., to document the interfaces, and let me program FreeBSD
> versions (since they're legally allowed to do that under German
> law),

Most laws allow this.  Australian law does too.  But there's no
shortage of German hackers on the lists; let me know if you want a
partial list.

> and the South Africans (who can export crypto to the rest of us).

I thought most laws allow this, too.  I'm pretty sure Australian law
does.  I think the export from .za was because Mark Murray personally
took it in hand.

> If the U.S.  government doesn't have a problem with establishing
> rules which force public projects to establish engineering and
> cryptographic center of excellence any place _but_ the U.S., neither
> do I...

I do, but for different reasons.

Greg