Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:55:57 -0400
From:      Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
Cc:        knu@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Broke?

Khairil Yusof wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 22:07, Bob Perry wrote:
>

>>I run FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE.  Just ran the portversion command for the
>>first time since last Saturday and the ouptut indicated that my
>>installed packages were up-to-date.  Thought it odd so I ran pkg_version
>>command and picked up 9 packages in need up upgrade and several
>>"orphaned" packages listed.  Is there a known problem with the
>>portupgrade system or was there some warning I missed previously?
>>

>If I'm not wrong, portversion/pkg_version relies on ports index (man 8
>portupgrade) which needs to be up to date in order for portversion to be
>accurate. This is not done on a daily basis for the ports tree (as it
>takes some time).
>
>What you should try to do is check that your pkgdb is ok and fix any
>problems:
>
>#pkgdb -F
>
>then update the ports index (which takes a while)
>
>#portsdb -Uu
>
>Then run your portversion/pkg_version which should give more accurate
>results.
>
>Hope this helps.

First, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yesterday, I brought all of my packages up-to-date, ran pkgdb -F,
followed by portsdb -Uu
and rhe output from both portversion and pkg_version matched.  I slept well.

This morning, portversion indicated that all packages were current but
pkg_version showed
p5-Date-Manip-5.40 needed to be upgraded to 5.42.  I ran portupgrade
expecting to receive a
message indicating that the package was current, but instead, it
fetched, built, installed,
p5-Date-Manip-5.42 and I thought, removed  p5-Date-Manip-5.40.

I ran portversion again and it indicates that "p5-Date-Manip-5.42  >
succeeds port (port has 5.40)".
Pkg_version shows p5-Date-Manip-5.42 is up-to-date with port.

Looks as though the portversion program may not be reading the port tree
accurately (?).

I'll have to do more investigation.  Maybe I broke something.  Thanks again.

Bob