Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:13:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mark@linus.demon.co.uk, mark@grondar.za, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syscons CUT&PASTE functionality added...

Mark Murray stands accused of saying:

> > Operations on a ttyd? device will block until the port has DCD raised.
> > If DCD drops again, the process on the port will get  HUP.
>
> I tried the cuaa1 device and it worked, but now X is broken. :-(
> If I Altfn to the X screen or launch xdm while moused is running,
> the screen flicks between graphics and text about 4 times, then
> returns to the text screen, leaving a dead xdm and no other
> X processes. Killing moused before doing the Alt-Fn works OK.

All this was discussed when the syscons mouse support was first announced.
There are several possible ways to manage simultaneous access to the
rodent; I'm not sure which way I want to do it yet.  The 'snoop' (snp)
device looks attractive.

> > The X server knows how to find the cuaa? device that corresponds
> > to  a give ttyd? device.  Moused doesn't.
>
> Worth "teaching" it?

As Bruce pointed out, I'm completely off-beam there.  If Soren doesn't get
to it first, I'll see if I can work out how to do it 'properly'.  Until
then, use the cuaa* devices 8)