Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:04:51 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mattia Rossi <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: USB2, mouse and X

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Mattia Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen that there are a lot of issues with mice and the new USB2
> stack, but as my problem is still not resolved with the current kernel,
> i think it's time to report my problem:
>
> My mouse (or maybe keyboard?) issues regard only the X window system (I
> tried fluxbox and KDE4). Mouse and keyboard are USB, attached via a USB
> hub (integrated in my monitor). They both work without flaws in the
> console, but it's a pain to write text in different windows in X. The
> typed text just doesn't get displayed some times, unless the mouse
> cursor is moved. Sometimes after typing some text, and moving the mouse
> afterwards, the text gets written, but letters will  be grouped together
> and look like this:

Hi,

I think this might be an interrupt problem of the Host Controller or kernel in
combination with your screen card. Is your screen card using the same
interrupt like the USB controllers?

What does "vmstat -i" output?

Are any processes running high in "top" ?

There are also some debugging sysctls:

sysctl hw.usb2.ehci.debug=15
sysctl hw.usb2.uhci.debug=15

sysctl hw.usb2.ums.debug=15
sysctl hw.usb2.ukbd.debug=15

Warning: Can generate a lot of dmesg.

When you don't see the text and press CTRL+ALT+F1 on the keyboard, do you get
switched back to the console?

Try to turn on "ums" and "ukbd" debugging first and see if the printouts to
dmesg stop when you don't see anything in the X-window.

--HPS