Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:01:08 -0700
From:      Jens Haeusser <jens@zoology.ubc.ca>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic when running samba

Further along in my freebsd-sparc adventures, I now get a kernel
panic when I run samba.

To recap, I installed freebsd-sparc on an Ultra 10 using the 20020624
ISO. I then cvsup'ed the latest -current sources, and built and
installed world and kernel. I then installed samba-2.2.5 from source
(I tried to install it via ports, but it failed- the source install
went flawlessly).

When I run samba, the box immediately panics:

panic: trap: fast data access mmu miss
cpuid = 0;
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:    ta             %xcc, 1
db>

If I revert back to the kernel that came with the 20020624 ISO
(GENERIC built by jake@u60.locore.ca) while still using the newly
built world, Samba works flawlessly. I get the odd message about the
kernel (like cron: getting vmemoryuse resource limit: Invalid
argument), but things seem to work fine (I can run top, make kernel,
etc). Any thoughts? (I have tried various versions of samba, but
haven't tried to do much modification of GENERIC- I don't have the
version that Jake used to build in June to compare with).

If someone would care to point me at info on what to enter at the db>
prompt to gather more relevant data to help fix this problem, I'd
appreciate it.

Jens Haeusser
Network Manager
Zoology, UBC