Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:27:53 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.2 RC1 amd64 Installation

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu> wrote=
:

> On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 19:04 -0400, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>
> To be honest it never occured to me that someone would attempt to
> install all of the packages (or at least as many as you indicated in
> your summary that you did).  The package failures you mention were
> almost certainly caused by conflicts (e.g. apache-1.3.41 and apache
> +mod_ssl-1.3.41+2.8.31 failing because apache-2.2.11_4 got installed
> first).  When deciding what packages to include on the media as of late
> I haven't been taking the issue of possible conflicts into mind.  Like I
> said I'm afraid it just never occured to me someone would just select
> "virtually all of them" as you did.
>
> I'll take this into consideration moving forward but just so you know it
> likely won't be addressed as part of 7.2-REL.  It's likely you would
> need to be at least a little more selective in what packages you install
> if you want to avoid these sorts of package install failures caused by
> conflicts.

This is a test installation . Therefore  installation of  all  the packages
is  a testing  step .
Such a test will show installability of packages and missing parts if any ,
and possible
conflicts .  Therefore package  selection  process  rules  may be adjusted
accordingly .

After marking selected packages I inspected every category list toward
backward  to see whether  a last selection  reverted  a  previously
marked   selection  . Such a mark erasing did not occurred .
Marking is able to select dependencies but at present it is not de-select
conflicting selections .

Another reason is that I am writing a multimedia information management
system since 1986
and  it is   continuation of my PhD   thesis  subject . Concepts  coverage
is vast and   I am studying every possible information sources one by one t=
learn at least their main ideas . This part is for me .

> That one is a question for the Gnome folks but I *think* that's the
> intended behavior unless you configure the machine to launch the
> graphical interface as part of booting up. :-)
>
> --
>                                                Ken Smith
> - From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu
>  there, funny things are everywhere.   |
>                      - Theodore Geisel |

After installation , FreeBSD boots in terminal mode . In this first boot , =
have included
gnome_enable=3D=C2=A8YES=C2=A8 into rc.conf and re-booted .

Thank you very much

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk