Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:51:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        Martijn Koster <mak@webcrawler.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redirecting "make world" Output

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Greg Pavelcak wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Martijn Koster wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 07:37:46AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I believe the upgrade tutorial says you can save the info output of
> > > make world by redirecting like this (using sh as shell):
> > >
> > > 	make world 2>&1 | tee /var/tmp/mw.out
> > >
> > > I saw this 2>&1 construction in the sh man pages but I don't
> > > understand it.
> >
> > it just means fold stderr and stdout into a single stream.
> >
> > > Anyway, the immediate problem is that I get an error
> > > when I write this. I think it said "ambiguous redirection"
> > > unfortunately I don't have it with me now.
> >
> > Are you absolutely sure you where using sh? That sounds distinctly
> > like a csh error.
> >
> > -- Martijn Koster, m.koster@pobox.com
> >
> You're probably right. My default shell is csh. When I do "shutdown
> now" it says something like "enter shell or press return for sh" but
> here I guess "sh" means whatever shell you happened to be in when you
> did "shutdown now"? I'll have to try the csh construct for redirecting
> and see what happens.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg

Try echo $SHELL to see what your current shell is.
sh doesn't mean whatever shell you were in when you did shutdown;
it is a shell itself.
The csh/tcsh redirection that I do is
make world >& make.out& (or whatever file you want to send it to).
I do make world's without going to single user so the computer will
continue to serve web pages etc., and I can (generally) log in
remotely.  You can see what's happening (the output here will not
go to the screen) with the command
tail -f make.out
which you can exit with Ctrl-C
You can also do other stuff, e.g., e-mail, and look at swapinfo
and ps (or top) to see overall use etc.  It's probably a little
slower this way and there may be some processes that are using
a little swap or some cpu, guess it depends on what you've got
running and how much of the cpu they take.

	Annelise