Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:52:11 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, myfreebsd@cox.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reaplay and mplay/mplugin....

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 04:07:53PM -0900, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> On Monday 21 November 2005 02:42 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 12:46:42PM -0900, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> > > I also just installed mplayer for much the same reason. One question,
> > > does one also need to uncomment the commands in mplayerplug-in.conf? I
> > > notice that they are all commented out.
> > >
> > > Beech
> >
> > 	Yeah, I just (re-)discovred that on my test (ubuntu) box.  For
> > 	some reason, mplayer looks like it doesn't wwant to be a plugin;
> > 	rather a stand-alone Windows a/v player.
> >
> > 	I just installed the newest Helix and from what I glimped,
> > 	it supports both real and win streaming audio.  Jeez, but
> > 	I'd like one app that worked all the time.
>
> On the latest firefox it will recognize and launch the helix plugin, but it
> then just stops with a blank window. The plugin worked in the previous
> version of firefox. As for WMV, it didn't work even in the previous version.
> I googled the problem a while ago and ran across something about firefox not
> working with helix anymore, so I just sort of gave up. After I accidentally
> nuked linuxpluginwrapper I deleted and reinstalled everything and it still
> didn't work for me yesterday.
>
> Realplay does work as a standalone if you copy the URL into it, so the problem
> is in the plugin. I don't know if any or all of this applies to mozilla. If
> linuxpluginwrapper isn't fixed soon I'll take all the pertinent  info from
> the last couple of threads and write up a how-to, as I do have flash and
> acroread working at this point with linuxpluginwrapper.
>
> Mplayer works great with WMV, but running real-anything  does in fact crash
> firefox after a short time. Hopefully one of these apps will get fixed to run
> both protocols as plugins, but for now I'll settle for mplayer and run
> realplay stuff standalone.

	I discovered that URL's entered into realplay do work; at least
	with the .r* suffix. Is there a place in mplayer that I can
	stash windows audio URL's?

	gary

	PS:  On my test platform I have firefox as the default; here
	I'm using mozilla.  Same deal with realplay, rm and mp3 work;
	mplayer just stopps dead.  ... .

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix