Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:27:47 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Categories info?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:19:31PM +0100, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can find Information about a category when I'm looking into the
> ${PORTSDIR}/category/pkg/COMMENT file.
>
> But there are several categories which dont have a own directory (like
> gnome, afterstep, perl, zend, ...)
> Is there anywhere a Information about them stored on my system?

Yes in the packages database will be entries for all packages, when you
install a port it becomes effectively a package.

pkg_info(1) will list what you have installed.

You can also in your ports directory do a "make readmes", this will
create a set of html files for each port. Reading the top level
README.html will then give you hyperlinks to the appropriate page.
You of course need the ports infrastucture in place for any port
categories you are interested in.

Be warned making this takes a long time, a real long time.

You should make sure your INDEX of ports is upto date first,

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson