Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:55:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        Allen Cleveland <allenc@mindsieve.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI@home error

Dutch Collins wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I bet you need to create a new account because you are using new software.
> > > The only use I have had for win98 lately is to run the win98 version. It
> > > is neat looking.
> >
> > No! You only create one account. I have four machines running it and
> > the original was setup on NT 4+. I have copied the directory between
> > systems and deleted the state and work unit. When I execute it, it
> > immediately downloads a new WU and starts processing it. You can run
> > it from a shared directory on a different machine or a local
> > directory. It doesn't matter. The problems occur with demand dial.
> > FreeBSD DD's faster than NT did and FreeBSD will upload the results.
> > NT times out. If I use NAT on NT, FreeBSD and NT time out. I have a
> > batch file that switches between two directories. If the result.txt is
> > in the directory, it needs to be uploaded and I run setiathome in that
> > directory. I kill the job after the next WU is downloaded. That gives
> > me most of a day covered with out my FreeBSD system connected to my
> > ISP. It will alternate until I create a stop file and when that
> > exists, it stops the loop. If it switches and a RESULT.TXT is there,
> > it will upload it and download a new WU at that point. I don't have to
> > do anything.
> >
> > I had it running on Win98 but that machine was a 200Mhz Pentium, which
> > needed a long-long time to do a WU. Win 98 may have taken 35 hrs and
> > NT 25 but the command line version for Windows NT is using 9-11 hours
> > depending on the number of gaussian's. If you run the GUI version, it
> > is very important to blank the screen or run it minimized. That alone
> > is worth around a factor of 2.5 or so.
> >
> > Visit the web site. They now have graphics that shows where the data
> > has been analyzed. You can watch the earth circle through each region.
> > The radio telescope at Arecibo is fixed and Serendipity obtains data
> > where the earth is pointing the antenna at the time.
> >
> > Kent
> > >
> > > -d
> >
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA
> >
> > mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com
> > http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/index.html
> >
> > SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
> > http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
> >
> > Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
> > http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html

> Yep on the single account, went to web site to download the 1.3 version.
> It all worked fine and it crunching numbers now. I am running it in a
> terminal (kvt) so it is out of the way. I do not know how KDE will affect
> it, not much I guess. This old 486/100 does hufF_and_puff a bit.
>
> Based on this configuration I do not have a clue on the bad header problem.
>
>    486 at 100Mz, IDE drive [I think there are no more bad sec]
>    the 1.3 version of freedsd-unknown from SETI
>    FreeBSD 3.2-R generic and KDE, both from walnut creek CD

I'm also running it from an x-window and It doesn't seem to matter. It
is also the machine doing my dial out. I didn't even nice it. That is
probably why NT is timing out. I'm running 3.2-Stable. One of the
Berkeley people had it hang occasionally in a regular windows. I
currently have accrued 110 hrs of CPU time with setiathome on FreeBSD.
It was up to something like 500 hrs before I did the last cvsup and
buildworld sequence. It uses anything you let it have. I did a build
world one time and it used about the same amount of cpu + a little bit
but the wallclock time was twice as long.

Kent