Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:54:24 -0500
From:      rick gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My thoughts...

Okay. I have been doing some extensive searching and maybe know what is
my problem. Perhaps you can guide me as to where I need to proceed from
here.
First, a quick recap...Gary Clark, a FBSD developer, installed our
system but he has since left us for reasons we won't discuss. Now I have
inheirited the system and I am not very BSD oriented.
I only wished to activate the ports on my Boca that were not working. I
changed out a generic 4port Usenet serial board which stopped working. I
went in and changed my kernel to the appropriate settings for a
multiport board. This is when I realized the problem...
Now, I have sent you my kernel configuration yesterday. Since then I
have been reading (and reading!). I believe now that some of the files
used in config and/or make have either been corrupted or are now
completely missing. The garbage I receive when trying to use make (make
depend works fine) indicates possibly corrupted files and it cannot read
them as such. Possible? How can I tell if some files are corrupted or
missing? I have 3 servers (main, terminal and backup) and running make
on each gets the same "garbage:not found" response.
I have found that I can possibly use the fixit.flp to heal my wounds. Is
this true with what I have encountered? If so do you have any hints to
guide me through fixing this?
I do appreciate any help and time taken to guide a newb like me. FBSD is
a very stable system and have had nothing but praise from my 100+
customers since switching from Unixware (ugh!). I just need some nudging
in the right direction on a few things.

My sincerest Thanks,

Rick Gray
Network Pros, Inc.