Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 19:41:08 +0100
From:      Kjell <la3sg@sensewave.com>
To:        Dimitri T <midiostri@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators?

On Monday 03 December 2001 1:05 pm, you wrote:
> > > are there any unix emulators for ms windows?
> > >
> > > I have ms-windows boxes and I need to show ppl how

> > > unix console looks like and how to run basic
> >
> > commands
> >
> > > like ls, cat, cp, mv, rm etc..
> > >
> > > Any pointers?
> >
> > You could try one of the mini distributions that fit
> > on a floppy. Then you
> > would not have to touch your Windows computer.
> > regards from Kjell
>
> thanks for answering kjell :)
>
> what are these 'mini distributions' exactly? i've
> never heard of them.. do u know perhaps, where can i
> find more info, or where can i find them?

There are several, but the one that comes to mind may be found at
http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/  and
http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/picobsd.html
You can put picobsd on a floppy, put the floppy into the drive in your
Windows Wkstn. and after a reboot it will look like a BSD machine, and you
can fill your 19" monitor with ls, cats cps etc....and demonstrate all basic
operations of FreeBSD
If you are hardware oriented, you can easily put a router/gateway on a 50 by
100 mm embedded type card with an IDE interface adapter for a FlashMedia
card using one of these distributions...
Regards from Kjell (LA3SG)