Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Subject:   Re: aout support broken in gcc3

On 04-Sep-2002 Richard Tobin wrote:
>> You are blowing this out of proportion and not actually reading
>> what people are proposing.  So far, the comments are about
>> removing a.out support from the base compiler and offering
>> a.out binutils and gcc _as ports_.
>
> That would be sufficient for my needs (a matching gdb would be useful
> too, I'm not sure if that is part of binutils).
>
> But I don't think my concern was misplaced: having gone back through
> the thread for the past couple of weeks, there were certainly phrases
> like
>
>   "drop all traces of a.out support"
>   "if you need to generate new ones (?) unpack a 2.2.6 system"
>
> with the ports solution mentioned only "if we really have to have a.out".

Well, I think what happened is that people wanted to know if others still
needed a.out and thus if ports should be created.  I guess some people
have been saying some more drastic things then that and it is hard to know
who to listen to. :-/  It is a good thing to point out user's needs but
accusing developers of never taking the long-term view (which you did not
do, I know) is not a good way to win others over to one's argument.