Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2018 09:13:56 -0800
From:      Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Is it considered to be ok to not check the return code of close(2) in base?

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 10:07:20AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-01-01 at 08:57 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > And the amount of back and forth on something that is this basic is sort
> > of mind numbing.? As a new person on FreeBSD it doesn't show the project
> > in a good light.? Just sayin.
>
> So when you're unable to make a point using technical merits, you
> instead attempt to shame people into thinking the way you do? ?And
> then, like so many people these days, you seem to think that adding
> "Just sayin" the end of something inappropriate you've said somehow
> makes it okay? ?The whole problem is that you're "just sayin" that.

OK, take out the "just sayin" and I stand by what I wrote.  I spent a
long time on the Linux Kernel mailing list and while they can get lost,
I don't remember this amount of bike shedding on such a simple topic.

When people consider the fact that -DNDEBUG is new information I sort
of wonder how you get so far in life without knowing the basics.  We're
not talking about anything that is subtle, hard, or obscure.

What's next?  A long discussion about whether to use parens around args
in cpp macros?  Aren't you supposed to just know this stuff?

I'm not trying to shame anyone into anything, I'm simply stating that
this thread is not something you'd want to advertise to get more people
interested in FreeBSD.  Quite the opposite.

I'm new here, and it's perfectly clear to me that new people's opinion
don't count, so feel free to ignore my comments.  But I stand by them.