Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:56:59 +0100
From:      Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from running FreeBSD

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:22:35 +0200
Alnis Morics <alnis.morics@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/2014 18:53, Chris Petrik wrote:
> >
> > On 11/28/2014 10:48, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a server running FreeBSD 9.2-p15. I want to upgrade it to
> >> release 10.1 with minimal shutdown so I'm thinking about
> >> installing 10.1 in a new partition running the 10.1 installer from
> >> 9.2., configure the system, install and configure ports, and then
> >> restart with 10.1. I never did it before nor know if it can be
> >> done and some questions emerge:
> >>
> >> a) Did someone tried it before?
> >> b) Can it be done safety/ly?
> >> c) How can I install ports or pkgs in 10.1 partition from 9.2,
> >> perhaps with the pkg jail (-j) option?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advence
> >>

> >> ---   ---
> >> Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

> Yes, and you can make an OS dump before you upgrade, in case
> something goes wrong.

Yes, but recover from a dump is slower than a simple reboot if something goes wrong. That's why I want to try this, I need minimal downtime.

I have seen the multipartition scheme used by nanobsd, where the upgrade is done to different partition [1]
and if something fails, a reboot is enough.

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/nanobsd/article.html 2.4 Updating NanoBSD

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>