Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:24:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Another judgement call.  11 point CM roman works quite well for me at
> 300 dpi whereas Adobe Times Roman at the same size doesn't.  So, score
> remains unchanged.

Well, I think both times and CM are ugly, and BTW, how can I make
groff use New Century Schoolbook?  (Yes, LaTeX uses it just fine)

Anyway, in the context of an sgml based document processing
system, troff or TeX plays the role of as(1) in a C based
programming environment.  Its there, its plays a critical role
but you rarely ever encounter it directly.  If I had to choose
between troff or TeX for direct use, I would take TeX without a
second thought.  But freebsd docs, I think troff is a much better
choice because (a) its standard equipment (b) is much easier to
hide behind a shell script and (c) can actually generate decent
ascii output.

The *only* reason sgmlfmt generates LaTeX right now is that the
[nt]roff output is hopelessly brain dammaged and I confess I
don't know enough to fix it.  Unfortunately those who do don't
know enough SGML to do it either.  :(

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================